I am so excited you came by!

Sunday 14 January 2024

Firefighting with CF... Can it be done?


 Good day my Friendlies,

City of Cornwall Ladder Aerial TruckThis post is being written with the Backdraft soundtrack on repeat! 

Inspirational... Hell Yeah! ALSO, who doesn't love the sound of Hans Zimmer
in the morning!

So my last post mentioned me applying to be a volunteer firefighter, then while I was thinking of these wonderful ideas of things that make me happy. Then I got to thinking, well shit, will this affect me negatively or not? I mean, I get that it will affect me in some ways, smoke, chemicals blah blah blah.... BUT and that's a big BUT, why can't I do what I want just like everyone else?

Are there fire halls willing to take on a person with Cystic Fibrosis, if we can pass the physical of course, or will we be moved directly to the REJECTED pile of applications after the interview? OR will there be that one fire station that is going to say, hey if your doctor has cleared you, let's give you a shot. I hope I am in that pile of applications. lol

Q "What is it about Firefighting that makes you want to do this?"
Aerial Ladder City of Cornwall

A- Good question, and my answer is very simple. I didn't choose to be a firefighter, it chose me. I want to study the manuals, I want to learn about fire and fire suppression. I don't think Firefighting is one of those careers that you say one day, that's what I want to do. Well maybe it is. Some people are born into fire services, it goes back generations, 3 or 4 generations. But some people, like myself, there is no firefighting in my family anywhere that I can find. Oh wait my totally amazing brother is Volunteer Firefighter, maybe I want to be like him, oh YEAH I totally love who my brother is, his values, his determination. I got to grow up with my hero in my house!

Q "What does your family think of your choice?"

A- My family are supportive. Concerned, maybe! I don't doubt that at all. CF is a little bitch sometimes. She sometimes has the ability to stop you from doing things. But she hasn't been able to stop me yet, and I am not about to let her stop me now. We have an agreement, you let me do me, and I'll take care of you when you need some attention. Now let's go fight some stereotypes and kick some fire ass! I think if at any point I thought that this would be a bad idea, then they would likely have me check my goals.

Winston Churchill once said... 

"Never give up on something, you can't go a day without thinking about"

This quote changed me this year. I can't stop thinking about becoming a Firefighter, that maybe, I should do more about it. I have been thinking about it for so long, and bit by the fire bug so long ago that I didn't think it would be possible. But why am I putting limitations on myself now, when I never have before. I have always looked at life like, "oh I can do that!

When did I stop thinking this way?

Why did I stop thinking this way?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feature

Are you there God, it's me Alison

Hopefully there is no copyright infringement in my Title this week. hehe ugh Can you believe that we are already into February? This is a bi...