I am so excited you came by!

Thursday 16 February 2012

Happy Anniversary to....

ME!!!


Today is February 16th, 2012, and three years ago today I was blessed with the only gift that is completely selfless... and that is the gift of organ donation.  Not only did I receive these beautiful Lungs that allow me to be here, but it also reminds me that someone had to lose their life, a loved one or a partner, in order for me to be grateful on this day.


Every year at this time, I get to celebrate another year full of life, with the people who mean the most to me.  My friends and family.  I can tell any stranger my story, I can tell you my story.  But you will only hear about it from my point of view.  The best experiences in life are the ones you suffer through.  I am not going to lie when I tell you I was scared, because I wasn't.  I didn't panic, I didn't cry all I can say is that this was the most amazing day of my life.

I have been given the gift of life again.  a gift that not many people get to experience in their lifetime.  I get to live life twice.  I cannot undo what I have done in the past, but I can better my future for all those involved.  Today I can say that I can do that, I can do this.  Three years ago, I wasn't coming home.  The love i have for my second unknown family, is about as intense as the love I feel for my own flesh and blood.

Their child, spouse, or partner is inside me, living on through me, and breathing to keep me alive.  These lungs are a part of me, a part of them a part of a future that I almost never had.  Last year I wrote to my donor, this year I did not.  Does that make me a bad person, that I am not regarding my donor family for everything they have done for me to be here?  I don't think so.  I have reached out to them, but i cannot force them to talk to me or write to me.  It's probably still painful.

Would you want to talk to the person who is taking the lungs of your loved one?  Who was taken from you suddenly and without notice?  No, you probably wouldn't, so why would I expect them to do the same.  Life is like a crystal glass, if you bang it around to much it will break.  Slow down, you move to fast, you've got to make the moment last.  My lungs are my life now, everything I do is for them, keep them safe, medicated and full of hot air, oh wait that's my head... no that's the lungs.


I am strong because;
Someone gave their life to save mine.  
Someone made a choice to let me live.
Someone thought of someone else,
Someone thought of me.

I am Strong because;
I have a loving family,
I have loving friends,
I have air in my lungs,
I have life in my soul.

I am strong;
Because I said so!

I am strong;
Because I am me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feature

Are you there God, it's me Alison

Hopefully there is no copyright infringement in my Title this week. hehe ugh Can you believe that we are already into February? This is a bi...