I am so excited you came by!

Friday 12 November 2010

News, news, news!!! All new!

Well this week was a whirl wind of fear, disappointment and not understanding how science and nature work.

On Tuesday November 9th, i got a call from my nurse Coordinator in Toronto.  she's the one who leaves us Easy Call messages to respond to.  Only problem is that this call wasn't VIA easy call, it was a direct call from the Transplant unit to my husbands Cell phone, as that was the number they have on file for important phone calls that can't be made or left on a message.

This stated when i had mu bronch done in August, and everything was well.  I got a Easy call message stating the I had Grade one rejection, nothing to worry about they just increased my Cyslosporine to 175 in the morning and at night, and i was to follow up with another bronch in a few weeks.  Well that day was November 2nd 2010.

So off to Toronto i headed for more testing.  I know this may sound weird and kind of out of the ordinary.  But i honestly love getting Bronch's done, maybe it's got something to do with the fact that I don't drink, and it's my high of sorts.  i like that fact that Medicine can do these things to detect the things that need to be done, and fixed.

So I thought everything was going great until i got the results back form that Bronch within a week.  When they results come back that fast there must be something up.  And of course there was.

I was diagnosed with Grade 2 rejection.  What happens in this case is that the medication i on, isn't working well, and they request vigorous IV treatment with high potency Steroids to bet things rolling in the right direction.  I was say when I first heard about it, I cried, my husband was scared a is was.  I managed to survive the night by being as positive as possible and making the best of something i cannot control.

Life hands you lemons and you make lemonade, or God hands you something, and you educate everyone, and never let them see you cry, never let them see you weak, because when you get weak, the worst always happens.  Positive thoughts lead to positive reactions.  And that my friends is a fact.

So The meds started on Wednesday afternoon, and they said the side effects would be bloating, or water retention, swelling of the hands and feet, excessive appetite, and that i would be wired for sound.  Well here are my reactions... Tiredness all the time, swollen hands and feet, and that's pretty much it.  I was expecting the worse, and got the best.  In fact I think my water retention went way down in the meantime.  I also called and asked if i could have this stuff instead of Prednisone... not such luck.

So to day is Friday i have had my last dose of meds, and I don''t really feel any different.  I wasn't able to use my port as I have Fibrin Tissue on the end of it, so the gravity pole wasn't allowing the medication to go through.  So for the first time in as many years, something like 6 or 7 i had to have a Saline lock put in, no PICC line no use of my port, I went old fashioned, and it lasted the full three days that we needed it to.  I have a lot of dishes to catch up on. lol


So no one has to worry things are going great.  I am a little short of breath, but i guess that's normal.  I will keep you more posted on what is happening with me, as I have not been very good at it, at all.  For that i truly apologize.

Love you all and thank you for your prayers and support.

Kisses and love
Ali

3 comments:

  1. Glad to see they got a handle on things. I think the same way, to try and stay postive on things that are happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT attitude!!!

    Just curious why you weren't treated with IV steroids when you had stage 1. It's Duke's policy to treat even stage 1 rejection with IV's, because it will most likely go to stage 2 if you don't.. Just curious... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. XOX to you.

    Love Danielle

    ReplyDelete

Feature

Are you there God, it's me Alison

Hopefully there is no copyright infringement in my Title this week. hehe ugh Can you believe that we are already into February? This is a bi...