I am so excited you came by!

Sunday 30 November 2008

What would you do...

I went to bed last night thinking about a few things I want to get done before my BIG birthday on April 30th. One of them includes writing letters to people, thanking them for making a difference in the choices I have made in my life, the influence they had on me. When I thought of this I instantly thought of one of my elementary school teachers, and few high school teachers. Then I thought, why the hell would they ever want to hear from me?

Here's what i said to myself...

If I were a teacher, and my students thanked me for helping them in one way or another in their life, I would want to hear about it. If it's good. But the last time I saw one of these teachers, he kind of rolled his eyes at me. Maybe that's because I was a hyper active kid, and could never sit still... or maybe it was because I wasn't the smartest in the class and he would rather forget all about me?

What would you do? Would you write the letter to them anyhow?

2 comments:

  1. I'm SOOO curious as to which teacher this would be??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, write the letter. Saying something positive to another individual is so important and has an empowering effect. Maybe yours are the words that will make a difference in this teacher's life, just as your teacher made a difference in yours.

    I wrote a letter to my 'favourite' teacher many years ago and last year I had a chance to visit with her. She's in her 80's now, and slowing down, but that same charismatic, empathetic gleam was in her eyes. Sister Margaret was an engaging and caring teacher who made me feel like my ideas and dreams mattered. She confided in me some years later that she never felt effective in the classroom. So I think our teachers do need to hear that their efforts made a difference. So yes, write the letter.

    ReplyDelete

Feature

Are you there God, it's me Alison

Hopefully there is no copyright infringement in my Title this week. hehe ugh Can you believe that we are already into February? This is a bi...