I am so excited you came by!

Wednesday 18 August 2010

Cath Flow results....

Okay so it's now August 18th, and I am about to tell you the latest on my Port a cath, and what the cath flow did... or didn't do rather.

So cath flow is a product the insert into the port to eat away a the tissue or clot that is forming on the catheter, to help remove it, and allow flow to go through. Well, I had gone for the two hour infusion last week, and nothing happened, so I had to go back on the 17th, yesterday for the 4 hour process. You would think that would work right... yeah well, that's not m case.

Here is what Cath Flow is:

Like naturally forming human t-PA, Cathflo acts specifically on fibrin-rich clots in an occluded catheter.

  • Cathflo causes the conversion of plasminogen to plasmin
  • Plasmin dissolves fibrin in a clot, which results in thrombotic breakdown
  • With the clot dissolved, any residual debris can be aspirated from the catheter, and central venous access is restored
  • With Cathflo, there is limited systemic exposure because it works by dwelling in the catheter in direct contact with the clot
  • Because it has a short half-life, circulating plasma levels of Cathflo are not expected to reach pharmacologic concentrations, even if a small quantity enters the bloodstream
* The clinical significance of fibrin specificity is unknown.

So I headed out to Ottawa, the Civic Campus of the the Ottawa Hospital. Not the kind of place I want to spend my day. Dark, gloomy, reminds me a lot of St. Mike's simply because it's old. I wish I had taken a picture of where i was sitting for four hours, while i was being infused with this stuff.

The nurse who performed the procedure was awesome. But i mean, come one make it a little more patient friendly. If you know what I mean. i was there for a little over 4 hours, and was never offered a drink or something to eat. Not to mention I had blood work that needed to be done also. LUCKY ME.

Next Monday, the 23rd, i am heading to Toronto for my 18 month assessment. Yes folks 18 months, time sure does fly. My actual anniversary was on the 16th, but my assessment is about a week later. I promise to tell you all how it went. It's going to be a great weekend.

So i am going to sign off, Gripper intact and all, and I will talk to you guys again soon.

Cheers & Love
Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feature

Are you there God, it's me Alison

Hopefully there is no copyright infringement in my Title this week. hehe ugh Can you believe that we are already into February? This is a bi...