I am so excited you came by!

Friday 30 October 2009

Confessions of a transplant patient...

Today was the funeral for our good friend Malcom, who passed away suddenly. I'll admit, i am not the first one to talk about death, dying or anything along those lines, but lately... well it's all I can think about.

Malcom was a young free spirited man, who loved to fish, take things apart and not put them back together. He was one of those souls that you just loved no mater what. We weren't close, although his older brother is like a son to Derek and i. We took him in, and loved him. As any good friend would do.

But today was different. It made me think that, what if the surgery didn't work, what if it wasn't such a huge success, then some of these people (The Watt's my Dad and Derek) would be grieving like they are for Malcom, but for me. Okay, I know this may sound selfish but come on, you can't tell me that when you go to a funeral, you don't start to think of your own mortality?

I started thinking, I think I want to have a wake now, it's a way of closure, I didn't see it that way until today. Malcom looked great, peaceful and at ease. But I remembered what Jim Bob Duggar told his son, when he asked why Grandpa Duggar wasn't breathing, he said "Grandpa Dugger's body was just god's way of putting a face to the work he wanted done. Now his sou is in heaven, and all that is left behind is the body of the person we love." This was a 6 year old asking the question, and the best answer I heard from an adult in a long time. God bless the Duggars for being up front and honest with their kids.

So now I think I want a wake/viewing. I guess it depends on what you look like when you go. If I look half as good as Malcom does, then I am for it. If I look like shit, forget it. lol

Needless to say, today was and is a tough day. You try to be strong, but you break down. My Dad was there, and was strong. He came to support Chris, and bless him for that, cause he ended supporting me in the long run. Father Kevin's service was beautiful, Malcom would have enjoyed it. It wasn't long, and it wasn't only the bible, it was explanation and hope for the rest of us. What a wonderful man, Father Kevin is.

We are all going to go at some point, and some before others. But until that time comes, you have to do what you were put on this earth to do. I think mine is to educate and explore. If going to the Olympics in February isn't exploration enough, I don't know what is.

Much love to the Watt family,(Steve, Sylvie, Chris, Nicole, and Stephanie) no matter what the time, we are here for you, no matter what the day we are here for you. Friend for life is what we are, in life and death, you will forever be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feature

Are you there God, it's me Alison

Hopefully there is no copyright infringement in my Title this week. hehe ugh Can you believe that we are already into February? This is a bi...