I am so excited you came by!

Sunday 1 August 2010

Late Updates...

Well ladies and gents, I am here today to tell you a little bit about my life during this past few months.

In May, When my port was being flushed we were having some issues with her. First of all, she loves to take in fluids, but refuses to let them be sucked up. Short and sweet of it all, she won't give me blood. That is a crucial step when flushing a Port a Cath. What needs to happen is, all the heparin that is flushed into the Port needs to be taken out, in order to lean the catheter properly. When we are unable to get blood back, it means there is probably a clot, or in my case Fibrin issue. Short definition of Port a cath and Fibrin Tissue:

PORT A CATH

In medicine, a port (or portacath) is a small medical appliance that is installed beneath the skin. A catheter connects the port to a vein. Under the skin, the port has a septumthrough which drugs can be injected and blood samples can be drawn manytimes, usually with less discomfort for the patient than a more typical"needle stick".The port is usually inserted in the upper chest, just below the clavicle or collar bone, leaving the patient's hands free


Ok so I cannot find a definition for fibrin tissue, so I will do my best to describe it. It's like a stocking growing along the end of the catheter and when you try to draw blood back from the port, it get's sucked up like a balloon does when you suck all the air out of it. Pretty much the same idea.

Surgery

Looks like i will be getting more surgery to get it removed from my body. It's going to be a weird feeling seeing as it has been a a part of who I am for so long, that to replace it or remove it would be like removing a twin. I know it's weird, but it's true.

Here is a picture of me with my port from my wedding picture were you can see it.

That round thing sticking out of my chest, that's my Port.

I am not sure when this will be, but it will be in the near future, that's a certainty.

I go for a Cath flow treatment on the 17th of august, so I'll keep you posted on that procedure.

Take care and stay healthy.

Love
Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feature

Are you there God, it's me Alison

Hopefully there is no copyright infringement in my Title this week. hehe ugh Can you believe that we are already into February? This is a bi...