I am so excited you came by!

Monday 9 March 2009

1st Post Transplant Clinic Appointment...

Monday March 9th, 2009... what is so significant about this day, well let me tell you.

Not only is it my first follow up appointment post transplant, but it is also week 3 with new lungs. Yep, you read that right 3 weeks with these wonderful lungs, and all I can say is "THANK YOU", Bless the the family that did as their daughter wished.

That's all I know of really, that the person I believe donated my lungs was a girl. That is all I know right now, but when I find out more I will keep you all posted as to how wonderful this person is, and will continue to be as long as I am alive and kicking.

So about my appointment. As some of you may or may not know, I also have Cystic Fibrosis Related Diabetes (CFRD), that is also caused from the Cyclosporine and Prednisone that I am on. The tend to increase the levels of sugars in the body. The insulin I take 7units of every morning is called Humilin N, and this type of Insulin peaks at the same time my medications do, thus allowing my sugars to stay at the normal levels for me throughout the day. Only one injection a day, and voila, CFRD taken care of. I have been pretty steady in the 6.4 - 7.9 range which is where we want to be.

At my appointment today I have the final stitches taken out where my chest tubes were, and my incisions look clean, and I am able to put Polysporin on the Chest incision now that it has cleared up from gross scabs. Yuck.

My weight is the same, and I think I might have actually grown a little. According to research studies, most people who get Double lung transplants, tend to lean inwards, and slouch. Well, my Dr., Dr. Chaparrow didn't recognize me because I was standing so straight and tall. Why would I slouch, when I can actually enjoy the breath of air i am taking in? I don't know.

To my surprise, as I was waiting to do my PFT today, I ran into Emilie Joinette's mother. I recognized her instantly. I think I might have seen Emilie while I was leaving my clinic appointment this afternoon. Her mother said she is doing better, and she's getting frustrated with her treake, I don't blame her, it looked really uncomfortable. I hope we can all take a minute and just give her a little shout out to the Grandfather for some loving. We're praying for you Em, we are, I am praying extra hard.

So now that I mentioned PFT, I know my mother is cringing in her seat, dying to find out how things went. I know she's sitting there telling me to shut up, and call her. Well I'll do that, but i am going o put it up here too. So please Momma, be a dear and love me, cause you are always on my mind when I go to my check ups.

What they look for in Pulmonary Function Tests (PFTs), it's about the numbers here, not the %.
But we go with % in our house, so I'll give you a brief of both.


AVERAGE FEV (L) : 3.6 MY FVC (L) : 2.6 or 71%

AVERAGE FEV1 (L): 3.1 MY FEV1 (L) : 1.9 or 60%

FEV1 (Forced Expiratory Volume) in the first second:
The volume of air that can be forced out in one second after taking a deep breath.


FVC (Forced Vital Capacity):
The volume change of the lung between a full inspiration to total lung capacity.


Some background information in case you don't know what they mean. I didn't really know all the answers until I asked, so I saved you all the step of asking me. haha

I don't have any old numbers with me to go by, and I am pretty sure they weren't very good. I'll send an e-mail to St. mike's to get my last PFT results from them, and then in the next post, we'll compare the two. Pre and Post Transplant. That will be fun!!!

Some of my medications have already been lowered. I start my physio/rehab regiment on Wednesday & Friday at 10:30am - 12:00pm, here I will work on the treadmill, stairs and weights to keep my strength. Maybe I'll even consider going to the World Transplant Games at some point. Who knows!

Well, that's my day today. My Dr.'s Chaparrow & Singer are amazed at me, for all I have accomplished in the three weeks that I have been transplanted. Needless to say they are shocked, just a little.

VIP MESSAGE: I saw my surgeon when I was leaving my x-ray today. He looked at me, and said in his uniquely French accent, "You look fantastic. I can't believe how your moving so well. Your not out of breath, or anything. Stay out of the cold. You look great" I gave him a little hug, and thanked him immensely for his excellent surgical skills.

Dr. DePerrot you are amazing, my family are in debt to you for life. You have given me another chance to be me, and I can't thank you enough for your hard work. Kudos to the whole team, who worked on me, from the Nurses, Anesthesiologists, admitting ladies to the cleaning lady (she always made sure I had towels), Thank you for your hospitality TGH, you're awesome.

Much love to all
Ali

2 comments:

  1. Ali, it sounds as though things are going really well. Congrats!! Keep up the good work, and keep blogging. Love your pics! Can't wait to see you both.
    Love,
    Terry & Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!
    3 weeks with new lungs!!!
    Keep up the amazing healing and work, what an amazing gift to have those lungs. Sending love to you from one CFer to another :)
    love,
    Emily Haager (california)

    ReplyDelete

Feature

Are you there God, it's me Alison

Hopefully there is no copyright infringement in my Title this week. hehe ugh Can you believe that we are already into February? This is a bi...